Thursday, August 03, 2006

Attention! Japan’s Prime Minister Race Begins

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi completes his term this September. More attention to the second largest economy in the world is necessary.

Mainly, candidates discuss the following issues.

In politics and national security, the rise of revisionism is noticeable. Japanese people are beginning to reconsider postwar pacifism, and some of them even cast doubt on the regime change after World War Ⅱ. Japan faces nasty conflicts with China, South Korea, and North Korea on evaluation of wartime history. As Koizumi is likely to pray at the Yasukuni shrine on the end of World War Ⅱ Memorial Day, these problems will be critical.

In the economy, Koizumi’s neo-liberal policy has brought about the kakusa shakai (growing social and economic gaps), the rich gets richer, and the poor gets poorer. Increasing public deficit has been a long time headache. Like Germany under Bismarck and the Kaiser, Japan had been taking mercantilist until the 1990s.

However, I regret that leading candidates do not talk so much about the US-Japanese alliance, although it is at the turning point of history. It seems to me that Japanese leaders are geographically nearsighted. For Japan, the US-Japanese alliance is much more important than conflicts with China and both Koreas. The alliance is beyond bilateral strategic partnership. It provides Japan with underlying foundation of postwar regime change. Also, it enables Japan to join the club of leading Western democracies, and manage the world with America and Europe. Both aspects are the key to Japan’s position in the world.

I will write some commentaries on the election and prospects of post Koizumi politics. Everyone, keep an eye on Japan this autumn!

4 comments:

Rosemary Welch said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I will.

Maybe they don't speak so much about the matter, because it is a given? It is almost like saying, "Why aren't they talking about breathing?" lol.

I am very glad we do have a great relationship with Japan. When I was a little girl, I must confess, I was afraid of Japan.

They started buying a lot of property in the USA. I did not know why, since they lived in Japan! I mean, it isn't like they were going to there! lol.

I also heard many bad things about the business practices. Such as, "If you were not Japanese, they did not even reconize you." That was odd, because their companies were in the United States.

Well, anyway, like I said, "I'm grateful our countries are friends again." :)

Σ. Alexander said...

During the bubble economy, Japanese companies earned too much, and they bought real estates throughout Japan. Land prices soared rapidly. I heard some jokes that some people live in luxury cars instead of apartments, because the rent had skyrocketed.

For big businesses, that was not enough, and they bought real estates abroad.

The bubble economy has collapsed, and Carlos Ghosn manages Nissan today.

Always On Watch said...

In politics and national security, the rise of revisionism is noticeable. Japanese people are beginning to reconsider postwar pacifism, and some of them even cast doubt on the regime change after World War.

This is terrible news! Japan is an important ally of the United States.

I hope that the upcoming elections in Japan will not go the wrong way.

Pastorius said...

AOW,

I wonder, how could it go the wrong way? It seems to me that Japan has a choice, either they rearm themselves with our help, or they turn to Russia and China, who are currently arming North Korea? Why would they trust Russia and China?

Additionally, I have questions about that statement that in Japan the rich are getting richer while the poor get poorer. People always say that about America, and yet, it is NEVER true.

Can you give us any additional info on those two things?

On the whole though, I must say, I absolutely agree that Japan could end up being a threat to the United States. When it comes right down to it, I don't think we're their kind of people.